Wednesday, October 13, 2010

My Life As I Eat It...


Some people shop, write, sing, or exercise in order to de-stress. Me? Nothing is more stress-less than a bottle of wine (preferable a nice cold chardonnay) and a hot sizzling pot just waiting for goodies to be thrown in and consumed. If I'm feeling particularly tense Nina Simone's Anthology CD is playing in the background. Seriously. Grocery shopping is like a weekend at Burke Williams Spa (until I get the bill that is, whew Fatha!). Getting pots from William Sonoma, who am I kidding? I meant Target, Walmart...hell even Marshalls, is like going shoe shopping. I love every single thing about eating, cooking and entertaining guests. I didn't realize how hookie I really was until I moved out of the house in 2005 to head to Smith College, a school that definitely does not educate little Susie Homemakers. Until then I had LaDonna, my super duper hookie Mom  to do all this corny stuff for me. Now that she's on a different coast it falls to me. 

Me and the Bestie/Roomate 

 So who am I? I'd like to think I'm a lot like you actually. I'm just a twenty three year old kid, at least I think I'm still a kid, trying to navigate my way through life with family, friends and most importantly food. I mean cooking is fun but not nearly as fun as eating and life is great, but better with food in it. I want you all to come along on my journey through "my life as I eat it." Through the good and bad, the hilarious and the sad, the miraculous and the mundane. 

Super Hookie LaDonna
I want to share my life with you through my food adventures. Favorite recipes, cocktails, foodie blogs, restaurants, bars you name it I want you to tag along and, when you find the time, share your stories. Cause we don't have to go through life alone. We have each other and we have food. Together we shall become domestic divas! Goddess's Divine of the kitchen.

I will always try to leave you with a recipe or you can suggest your own and share. It's like we're having dinner together...but not. Tonight I'm feeling Taco Pie. My mom always made it with cornbread, cheese and groud turkey meat flavored with taco seasonings. I found a pretty good recipe here http://oneparticularkitchen.com/2010/10/08/cornbread-taco-pie/. One of the best things about this meal is that its ready in 30 minutes and it cost about $20/$25 dollars to make. Quick note: I hate ground beef so I substitue beef with ground turkey meat but its your world go for it! Also feel free to serve it with a yummy salad. You can even get a pre-made one and fake it (I'm thinking something Santa Fe style). If you want to get really fancy pants you can serve it with a nice Sangria (which you can also buy pre-made) or some cervezas. Yum. Let us know how it turns out!

Look at us well on our way to cooking bliss...Dammit! Some One's Gonna Marry Us Girls.

7 comments:

  1. hahahaa aww Ry Ry this makes me miss you even more...you and your WINNING personality. If the rest of your blogs are like this one..I think you have found your calling my love. Let me know when we are going to create our show about eating all around the world. Serious. Love you Ry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you already know I'm going to love this blog when you start with Taco Pie. Damn Ry, right to my heart. I'm trying it ASAP. And I'm lovin Sistah LaDonna right here. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lilly... it's "hookie ladonna"!!! I LOVE YOUR BLOG, and look forward to viewing your good eats and even contributing to it!!! LOVE YOU AND HAPPY BLOGGING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it Ryan! I'm going to try your recipes, but I will have to veto the meat. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is tooo damnnn cute Ry! This is sooo you! I told you are the princess of the kitchen along with your mommy, the queen. I can't wait to visit you so you can feed me all the goodies! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is the most exciting thing happening in my life right now!!! now you know...you can count me as the person that will cook all your recipes. i love corn bread so let me cooking begin!!! and yes someone is gonna marry you...the man you always wish for in your dreams!! love ya babe

    ReplyDelete